Most people now-a-days will agree that times are financially hard. If you're 55 and older, you can take advantage of savings offered by local retailers to those not only older -- but financially wiser.
When dining out, look for early bird/senior specials, but many chains also have special deals:
Planning an evening out?
* The AMC Tilghman 8 Theatres has Senior Day on Tuesdays. Movies are only $4 for those 60 and older.
* If you're a card carrying member of AARP, bring that card along to your nearest Regal Movie Theater. Show your AARP membership card at any Regal Entertainment Group theatre and pay $5.50, up to a 49 percent discount, for a bundled purchase of a 32-ounce soft drink and a 64-ounce popcorn.
* Lehigh Valley Health Network offers their Vitality Plus Program. This free program is for those 50 and older and offers not only a subscription to Vitality Plus magazine but also free workshops and seminars, free health screenings, discounts on enrollment fees for local health clubs and a dining club. Show your Vitality Plus card and pay only $4.35 at any of Lehigh Valley Hospital’s cafeterias for meals that include appetizer, entrée, side dish and 12-ounce fountain drink.
* The Lehigh County Senior Center is also a great source of savings. The center offers low cost computer, creative arts, dance and fitness classes and more.
They also offer the opportunity to get out with socials, bingo and a book club. Events are held thoughout the Lehigh Valley including Jordan Lutheran Church in Orefield, the Lehigh County Senior Center on Elm Street in Allentown, Muhlenberg College, Rodale Aquatic Center, and the Schadt Ave Recreation Center in Whitehall.
* At Walgreens, your AARP card can save you money each week. This week you will receive a coupon for $5 off your next visit after a $20 purchase, as well as a $3 off coupon on Walgreens brand products after purchasing $10 worth.
These are just a few of the many discounts and savings available, so when in doubt – ask the waitress, waiter or clerk! You can stay healthy, active and keep learning, and save while you’re at it.
Do you know of any local destinations that offer senior discounts? Tell us in the comments.