Great weather for fall sports, festivals, apple picking or other outdoor activities. This weekend, after a bout of mid-summer heat and humidity during the week, is expected to feature October-like temperatures with sunny skies and highs in the upper 60's and low 70's, according to the National Weather Service forecast.
- The Parkland School District is closed Friday in observance of Yom Kippur.
- Youth Night is on tap Friday night when Parkland High School hosts Northampton in a Lehigh Valley Conference football game at 7 p.m.
- Third Annual Zombie Invasion and Halloween Haunt VI opens Friday at Dorney Park, 4000 Dorney Park Road. The public is encouraged to attend the Haunt in costume. Professional makeup artists on hand to help you get in character. Mazes, scary creatures and thrill rides. (Not for anyone under 13, according to the park website.) Park hours are 6 p.m. to midnight, Friday; 11 a.m. to midnight, Saturday. Tickets on opening weekend cost $27.99; $30.99 in September. For more information click on https://www.dorneypark.com/haunt
- St. Joseph the Worker's 12th annual Angel Ride rolls out from the church campus at 1 p.m. Sunday. The 100-mile ride raises money for school scholarships. Dinner follows at the parish center, served by Outback Steakhouse.
- IlluXCon fantasy art exhibition, symposium and convention through Sunday at the Allentown Art Museum, 31 N. Fifth St., Allentown; Baum School of Art, 510 Linden St., Allentown and Holiday Inn, 904 Hamilton St., Allentown.
- Calvary Baptist Church, 4601 W. Tighman St., will hold a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
- The second annual Wheels for Hope Race for the Angel 34 Foundation is scheduled for Saturday at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center, 1151 Mosser Road, Breinigsville. Click here for more information and how to register. The Budweiser Clydesdales of Super Bowl commercial fame will appear from noon to 3 p.m. at the cycling center.
- The Da Vinci Science Center, 3145 Hamilton Blvd. Bypass, Allentown, will hold Joe's Workshop Program on Saturday for visitors ages 14 and under. Learn basic scientific and mathematical concepts as educator and handyman Joe Schoenly teaches you how to build a household item. Click here for more information.
- The Lehigh Valley Zoo in Schneckville is open Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Don't miss the popular alligator feeding.